Global Mission Model:
The word “accompaniment” describes our approach toward global mission, derived from the Luke 24 Emmaus road experience. Global companions “walk together side by side in relationship.” God works in and through God’s people in the world and we share the good news of grace, hope, and healing in Jesus Christ with one another as we share relationships and resources in the global community.
Global Mission Committee Statement of Purpose:
To be a clearinghouse within our synod, collecting and communicating directions in global mission through
- Educating, and
- Presenting Opportunities.
The Global Mission Committee nurtures three primary global relationships:
- Namibia (our official ELCA synod companion)
Global Mission Committee Hopes and Dreams for the Future:
- Involve more congregations in our synod in meaningful global relationships.
- Strengthen our companion synod relationships with Lutheran churches in Namibia.
- Welcome an annual “Missionary from Namibia” into the synod for 4 weeks.
- Sponsor a synod study tour to Namibia.
- Strengthen synod relationships with China and Tanzania.
- Explore congregation to congregation relationships with global companions.
- Increase global mission communication through the website.
- Offer an annual synod global mission event
- Encourage congregations to plan an annual Global Mission Sunday.
- Create a program to bring more Namibians to study at PLU.
For more information or to become involved, contact:
Global Mission Co-Chairs: Ed and Diane Armbrust
Namibia Task Force Chair: Mr. Lyle Morse
Tanzania Point Person: Nancy McGlamery, (360) 459-4259, email@example.com